Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolution: Tackling Cake

BAKING and I don't get along.  And I don't get along with its sister: DECORATING baked goodies.  I'm not sure what it is.  I could eat an entire batch of cookies or cupcakes without blinking. But something about the process to create them doesn't mesh well with me and I usually end up with a flat cake. Thank God for Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines because I would be lost without them.  And sure, I design all the time.  But making edible sweets look pretty is a completely different story than making a pretty flower arrangement!  My self control loses and I usually eat it before the frosting comes out to play. 

So, I have decided that 2012 will be the year that I will tackle cake. I plan to bake one and decorate one with all the fanciness a cake deserves. My inspiration? One of my favorite cake designers - Lindsey Sinatra of A Wish and A Whisk Cakes.  Her work is phenomenal!  I've had the pleasure to work with her on a few photoshoots and weddings. Remember that Chanel-inspired photoshoot I designed a while back?  To refresh your memory, this is the cake she made for that shoot:

This is photo of a cake she snapped from a wedding we worked on together:
I will tell you that this doesn't do justice to her amazing work!  Check out her awesomeness on Facebook here

I don't plan on making one as elaborate as Lindsey's cakes.  Its obvious her work is WAY beyond my baking/fondant skill level. But I would be happy if I could bake a tasty, simple cake and decorate it well. We shall see.  Wish me luck!

And if my New Year's Resolution doesn't work out for me....well, I just might literally tackle that cake.
Cheers to you and your New Year's Resolutions!

Yours Truly,
Joanna

No comments: