Thursday, March 24, 2011

Know Where Your Cut Flowers Come From

As my knowledge of sustainable living increases, so does my appreciation for all that encompasses sustainable floral design. In truth, at times, I find it overwhelming trying to apply all the eco-friendly changes necessary to call any floral arrangement "green." However, I am learning that a great place to start is getting to know the farms and farmers behind the cut flower industry. Inherently, we assume that flowers are great for the environment because they naturally decompose. But just as in any agriculture, farming practices have significant impacts on our environment.

I have come across two major arguments on where I should source my flowers.
1) The flowers should come from farms that are 100% organic whether they are grown locally or internationally.
2) The flowers should come only from local farms because the transportation emissions released into the environment would not offset the sustainable farming practices.

These two viewpoints have given me a lot of food for thought. So, in the meantime, I have decided to take time in researching the farms and farmers in which I receive my flowers. I currently use a wholesale distributer called Mayesh Wholesale and I work very closely with my account manager Shana who does her best to get me sustainably grown flowers. I've got my work cut out for me as I begin introducing you to these farms in which these flowers are grown.

Just a little FYI, I currently stand with Arguement #1. But my research may change my mind later on down the road. Ideally, I would love to get all of the flowers that Floral Sense uses from local farms that also have sustainable practices. So, if you are a farm in Southern California that meets that criteria, hit me up with an email or phone call! I would love to chat with you!

Any thoughts, ideas, questions? Feel free to comment below!

No comments: