Monday, January 31, 2011

Vanishing of the Bees

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the current crisis surrounding the disappearance of honey bees. The actual term for this phenomenon is Colony Collapse Disorder. The rate at which bees are disappearing is alarming and has left people scratching their heads.

The first time I was made aware of this issue was through an animated film called The Bee Movie.
Photobucket
I watched it with my son and thought it was cute since the main characters were a florist and a talking bee. I did find it a bit awkward that the woman and bee fall in love....but that's besides the point. The storyline sheds light on the fact that human behavior causes flowers to disappear because bees are no longer pollinating the flowers. And without the pollination of flowers, we have no fruits and vegetables. Of course, the movie has a happily-ever-after ending. Unfortunately, current reality reflects otherwise.

I watched that movie about 3 years ago and in those last three years I've noticed the bees making headlines...repeatedly. Here are just a few. If you google search, you can easily find more:
http://www.startribune.com/business/11222981.html
http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-case-of-the-disappearing-bees.html
http://www.usforacle.com/disappearing-bees-deserve-attention-1.2273479

Do we have a major problem? I think so. Recently, Chrissy Gray from Green Events sent me information on this documentary - Vanishing of the Bees. So, I ordered it and have yet to watch it. I'll let you know what my thoughts are. I just wonder if there is anything that can be done at this point.
Photobucket

Why do disappearing bees even perk my interest? Aside from the fact that I may lose job security if flowers no longer bloom? (I understand that statement is a bit oversimplified, but roll with me.) Well, if bees don't pollinate, we are facing a much bigger problem. I had no idea how large of an impact bees have on our food source. We're talking 1/3 of our produce! That's right. ONE-THIRD of our produce is dependent on honeybees...and that's just on commercial beekeeping. Scary.

Off to a little research. Any thoughts? I would love to hear them!

No comments: